I made mine this morning. OK - I finished mine this morning. The stitching of the rug went pretty fast. The prep work took a couple of days.
1. After picking out the perfect Jelly Roll, I sewed all the strips together end-to-end. I kept them in the order they were in when packaged. I did realize it was pretty "light" so I raided my scrap bin and added10 additional strips for a little more color.
2. I cut LOTS of 2.5" strips of scrap batting. I did NOT stitch these together, just butted them up next to each other. I did use mostly the same batting (Quilters Dream 80/20) but a few mystery strips ended up in there too. The fabric strip is folded with raw edges to the middle and then in 1/2 around the batting strip and stitched …
ALL THE WAY DOWN THE LENGTH OF THE JELLY ROLL STRIPS
The ball measured about 12" … it was pretty big.
4. And now … it is a rug in our guest bathroom and it's SEW cute!
I do think I'm going to get some sort of gripper pad for under it. It is a bit slippy on the bathroom floor. I started with a 15" strip in the middle and continued around and around. It ended up measuring 33" x 45".
I LOVE IT!
I'm thinking … what a great use for a big pile of Christmas fabric I have all cut in 2.5" strips.