Thursday, September 14, 2017

During and After IRMA

Prepping for a hurricane is a lot of work ... and worth every minute! We were so lucky to have come through the storm with very little damage.  We lost part of our fence - fence guy has already been out to inspect, estimate and give us a fix date (6 to 8 weeks out). We lost a strip of roof shingles - still waiting on the roof guy. We had a lot of yard debris - all cleaned up by My Cute Husband.

Power went out Saturday evening and the storm howled all night. Power came back on Tuesday but no internet/cable.  We got that back today ... HURRAY!!

Sew ... what did I do during and immediately after the storm?  Not too much. I did have a lot of hand work prepped and ready but ... hurricane days are sort of like snow days. They're bonus days. You get to do whatever you want or nothing at all.

Turns out, the book I downloaded ... Outlander ... is wonderful! I spent a lot of time reading and some time knitting.  I finished Book 1 - all 825 pages. I also finished my End of Summer Shawl.



Even got it blocked.  With no TV, the den was the perfect spot to lay it out.


Once the power came back on, I had an incredible urge to do some machine sewing and decided to work on something new.  Well ... not really new.  In fact, the blocks were acquired in an internet swap in 1996 ... yes, you read that correctly. 1996. Somewhere in the last 20 years, I made the swapped flying geese blocks into pinwheels.  I think I did this maybe 2 years ago.

I dug out my dishpan of 2 1/2" squares.  Don't you just love my storage system?!


I pieced strips of squares in groups of 4 and 6, framed each pinwheel block and got a pretty great start of a new scrappy quilt.  And ... Bonus ... this just happened to be on my UFO list for 2017.


I really do think this quilt had to wait all this time. It had to wait until I was ready and inspired.  

And ... today ... I decided my "hurricane hiatus" was over and I needed to get back to working on my "to do" list.


I have started stitching again on my Kim McLean Flower Garden blocks and border #3.

The internet is back up, so there will be TV watching tonight and knitting. I really do want to get my Cupcake Shawl done - I'm over it. It's pretty, but I want it done. I have other knitting that is really calling to me.

Thanks for all the well wishes, prayers and good vibes ... we needed it.




4 comments:

Pat said...

Glad you came through relatively unscathed. Told you you'd love Outlander. :)

doodlebugmom said...

glad to hear you are safe!

WoolenSails said...

I am glad to hear that you made it through the storm.
It looks like you got quite a bit done, beautiful pieces.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Glad you didn't have much damage and that you are now back to sewing & knitting. Always the best.