Friday, July 28, 2017

A Day To Catch Up

What a world wind week this has been. My Florida guild - Seaside Piecemakers had Gyleen Fitzgerald teaching and giving a lecture.  As I am co-chair of Programs (that is really a glorified title ... I'm the helper), I was extra busy. I don't think I ever really appreciated the time it takes for the Program people to "host" a national teacher.  There are also benefits ... like dinners out! and an inside view and personal chat time with a very talent quilter.

This is the door into the building where class was held.  I just LOVE this sign.  Why in world do signs usually say, "Use Other Door."?  I love that the sign welcomes you in and tells you EXACTLY which door to use.


This is Gyleen's signatuare quilt ... Pineapples ...


In her lecture, "Path to Modern Quilting" she refers to herself as a Contemporary Quilter rooted in Tradition.  This, along with a lot of what she said, really made a lot of sense to me.  She is a fun inspiring teacher.

She taught for 2 days, I took the 1 day, Pineapple class.  These are some of the blocks from my classmates.


My blocks are upper left and lower left and there's definitely a problem ... too medium.  I did make 4 total blocks before packing up. They will probably get pieced into the backing.  I need a little more contrast with my choice of "background" which is the orange. No problem - I have LOTS of strips and plenty of the orange.
Gyleen's ruler makes the piecing and squaring up sew easy! 

Just to keep us inspired, Gyleen picked a couple of quilts from her trunk show hang during class.  This one is a new pattern.


This one got a little washed out from the light shining in from the door (with the sensible welcome sign).


If you ever get the chance ... I really recommend going to a lecture/class given by Gyleen Fitzgerald.  And if you're really lucky, try and have dinner with her, she's a great storyteller.




No comments: