Friday, July 23, 2010

OP ART INFINITY

First day of class at Quilt Odyssey ... Marilyn Doheny's OP ART INFINITY. Marilyn is a wonderful teacher - she inspires and makes me stretch way beyond my comfort zone. I've taken class with her many times, mostly because she teaches stuff that I don't do all the rest of the year. The supply list said: bring a fabric that you love and 9 other ones that go from light to dark. Definitely the hardest part was picking fabric. And here's how it started out ...
We cut and laid them out in 2 piles and then swapped them. Sew them in "strata" - that's a fancy name for "strip sets." Then using Marilyn's 9-degree wedge ruler, cut it all apart and sewed it back together.
And here it is ...

I'm still in the process of appliquing to the background. Yes, I did get this done in less than 6 hours AND was using my featherweight (which sews really slow).
Chocolate is never far away in Hershey!


17 comments:

trish said...

Wow!! That is gorgeous!!

Lesly said...

What! Under six hours, you say? That's crazy amazing! And gorgeous!

carol said...

wow I love geometric designs. 6 hours really.

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

More than fabulous! I can only hope to aspire to your quilting greatness one day. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Leslie said...

this is stunning...i am blown away that you made it in so few hours. what a super finish for the week

Carla said...

I am blown away with this project of yours! I'm totally impressed. Chocolate totally helps with anything :o)

Dee said...

Wow! This is just amazing! I'm so impressed and this is just way beyond anything I could ever do!

Great project!

P. said...

Wow! Such a stunning quilt! I love it!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is such a stunning design! Thank you SO much for posting this!

Jan said...

Oh my! That is spectacular!!!!

Rita E said...

Wow, this is stunning! Thanks for sharing!!

Sally Hamilton said...

This technique is going on my "want to do" list. Thanks for showing it.

Michelle said...

Wow! Totally awesome! I could spend a lot of time admiring this beauty.

Elizabeth said...

That is just gorgeous! A big wow factor with what appears to be a simple process! Thanks for sharing!

xo -E

Sarah Craig said...

Really neat!!! And you use a featherweight? I am assuming you mean a Singer featherweight? I still have the one my mother learned to sew on - it's a great little machine!!

Kristen said...

that is phenomenal. seriously, i'm so in love, everthing about it is so beautiful!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh wow, I saw this thumbnail at Sew&Tell and I was in shock! THIS IS AMAZING!