Saturday, April 24, 2021

Strip Tease

 M&M Sew Charming launched a new Facebook challenge!

STRIP TEASE

We both (Mary and Marjorie) trim up scraps and save 1.5" strips. They were starting to overwhelm the containers. Marjorie keeps them sorted by color in a large plastic shoe box. I keep my in a jumble in a basket. Regardless of how we save them, we were both have the same problem ... the containers were full to overflowing.

I've been working out of this basket, making Pineapple blocks for several years. No rush, it's been a retreat project (3 times) and a in-between project forever. BUT ... I also add to this basket all the time, with every quilt I make.

The "add to" has been bigger than the "use it".

Sew ... enter a new challenge - Strip Tease

I chose the "cut to size" method and spent a couple of hours, pulling and cutting lights and darks. Mediums were a problem easily solved. Some mediums go well when surrounded by darks and some go well with lights.


Naturally (have you been here long?) I have lots of cut-off triangles. These are all random size and not paired up. Perfect for the outer edge of my strip sets. THIS, ladies and gents, is why I love saving stuff - I did not have to cut 3" strips (x 1.5"). Most of the triangles in this pile have a hypotenuse of 3" - perfect!

 

Side bar - did you ever think back in high school that you would have an opportunity to correctly use the word hypotenuse?

I started and continued with a constant green fabric for the center of all the strip sets. After I stitched the lights and darks, I simply laid my Pineapple Ruler on top and squared up the block. It's hard to see in the photo but having an 8.5" ruler made the trim-up easy.



36 blocks later - I'm on my way!


This quilt will (eventually) have a flying geese border. The blocks went together really fast, the border will take a bit longer.  In the meantime, I started another one! #2 will be a 2-color quilt.


I'm still making the blocks and then I'll play around with the layout.
I'm definitely down a rabbit hole ... again.







No comments: