Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Humble 1/2-Square

That bag of 1/2-square triangles I was gifted? It was a BIG bag ... a 2-gallon Ziploc bag. It was stuffed full of triangles.

After moving the bag around my sewing room for over a year, I finally started sorting them. These are the pairs-not-stitched.


I separated and grouped them by color and/or style. Paper plates make the BEST organizers. They're cheap, readily available and stack nicely.


When I finally got through THAT ... putting my hands on every.single.triangle, I had to think of something to do with them or some of them or a few (?) of them.

The stacked paper plates are staying out to intimidate me, to remind me, to inspire me.


I pressed and trimmed over 300 brights-with-black/white pairs. They now all measured 1.75" - not a standard piecing size but I had to go with the largest size I could make with the smallest square.


I pieced them together into a border for a panel I purchased online from Spring Water Designs


Amelia (the perfect grandie) now has a new nap quilt for when she starts back to childcare next week.


PS ... of course there is a beautiful backside ...


PPS  ...   I had 14 little 1/2-square triangles left over. These will go into the random-bucket for a future scrappy quilt.







No comments: