Sunday, April 21, 2019

A Sock Story


Today's story does not start with a sock.
It all started with a sweater.
Well … really it all started with yarn. 

I must have really liked this yarn because I had 3 skeins of the same color/maker of yarn. I know I did not purchase 3 skeins at once. It was acquired over time.
It's Knit Picks Hawthorne in color: Rose City. It's a tonal of various shades of red. 


I really wanted to knit a sweater by Caitlyn Hunter of Boyland Knits.  She designs beautiful colorwork (it's a knitter thing) sweaters.  I didn't think I was quite ready for that adventure so I picked TEGNA … it's a pretty basic design with a lacework hemline.


After getting started on this lovely, I actually checked the yardage of my yarn and realized I might not have quite enough.  I've played a little "yarn chicken" before but I didn't want to get to the point of having a - One-Sleeve-Sweater.  So I ordered an extra ball and needed it.  I used just a bit of the last ball but I'm so glad I had it.

I did not do a gauge swatch. Yes, you are supposed to ALWAYS do a swatch. I lucked out that this sweater turned out perfect in the fit. There will be another sweater story someday that might not have as happy an ending … but that's for another day.


Now, what to do with the leftover of the extra yarn?
This is where the sock story starts.


I cast on a really simple "almost vanilla" sock.  It does have a little texture but it's a really easy to remember pattern on a very basic sock pattern.

Then I got nervous about running out of yarn for a second sock.
Yarn Chicken is a very real thing and I wasn't in the mood.

I cast on the second sock from the other end of the ball of red.  Now I have 2 socks going on separate needles working from both ends toward the middle.


This is actually a pretty ingenious way to make sure there's enough yarn for 2 socks. I will work one for a bit and then switch to the other until I use up the yarn.  The length of the leg will be entirely dependent on how much yarn I have when I get there.

I almost always, ya know - I think I can say ...
I ALWAYS have a sock on my knitting needles.  It's portable and great to take along for those times I'm waiting - Mom's hairdresser, doctor appointments, waiting for food at a restaurant. I "knit in public" often
.
It must be a thing … it has it's own hashtag!





No comments: