Sunday, October 1, 2017

My Old Friends

Done!

My Old Friends has been a LONG term project with no pattern and no plan.  It has evolved over the last 20 years.  In 1996 I participated in a lot of internet block swaps. I believe the hostess (head swapper) was Beth and she lived in England.  Interesting tidbit ... she was American married to a Brit, grew up in Bowie, MD about 20 minutes from where I was then living in MD.


Anyway ... the swap ... make blocks, send them to Beth, she would rearrange them and send you back blocks from other people.  Sadly, I did not keep track of who and where my returned blocks came from but I do remember there were geese blocks from New Zealand and Australia and all over the US.

The bag of geese blocks moved with me to 2 other houses in MD. At a guild retreat sometime in the last 5 years, I stitched them in pinwheels and put them back into the same ZipLoc bag.  Thankfully, they came to FL with us and finally ... they were ready to become a quilt.

I pulled randomly (sort of) from my 2 1/2" squares to make sashing. I loved seeing and holding and sewing these squares.  Lots of memories of quilt shops visited, quilts made, retreats and sewing buddies. 

Some of the squares where pieced.


A few ended up sewn wrong side up.


Now the quilt is Done ... and awaiting binding.  My friend Debby Brown has a "binding chair."  I now have a binding chair too.







No comments: