I made some parts - a LOT of parts. And eventually, there was a quilt that I knew was going to be too big. I had a plan. What if I left off the border, did some Handiquilter magic, stitched the border on and finished quilted on my sit-down sewing machine? The will work - right? Even if I have to drag it all into the dining room for more space. But I'm not too good at sit-down quilting and this quilt is big. Maybe sew the top and bottom border on and just sit-quilt the side borders ... I have a plan.
I measured and remeasured and tried loading it.
Well - surprise! The frame will actually hold a quilt 87" x 87". I can't quilt all the way to the edge but at least it's all there.
This is as far on each side that I could quilt. I pin basted the edges as I went along to keep it stable.
The plan changed ... I quilted everything but a couple of inches on each side, then I turned the whole quilt and did the top and bottom. A too-big quilt all done on my 8' Handiquilter.
Then there was binding. I'm no longer set up for big quilts. I don't do big quilts anymore.
This quilt got a binding.
And it is D.O.N.E.
with a fun pieced backing.
This quilt had been mocking me since January. It was sitting out in my sewing room, getting moved around, while I tried to ignore it but it really wanted to be done.
It's done! The plan (and it's variations) worked. Handiquilter magic - again!
Because I don't "do" big quilts anymore.