Sunday, February 7, 2016

Sad Knitting

Knitting does NOT make me sad (usually). I'm not knitting for a sad reason or making something for a sad person.  BUT ... this is a sad story about my knitting.

Ever been on jury duty? I've been selected for a federal criminal trial. I can't speak about the case but I can say - it's mostly interesting when we're in the court room.  But we spend a lot of time not in the court room - that's idle time and I bring knitting.

I finished a pair of socks.  



That's not the sad part.

Some very good progress was made on the yoke of a sweater.  This is the 2nd time I've attempted this sweater and it was going great this time.  2nd time, as in, the 1st time I had to rip it out and put the whole thing in time out.  "Going Great" until I pulled it out yesterday morning to work on (during my pre-coffee hour).  Seems I made a mistake in the cable.  A big fat glaring mistake, and no, I did not take a picture of the mistake because I thought I could ignore it.

I couldn't ignore it.  I knitted a few more rows (silly me) until I couldn't ignore it any more.  
Maybe I could fix it!  This took some real courage.  I dropped 12 stitched and intentionally unraveled them back about a million rows.


I got another set of knitting needles and a good part of my Saturday was spent reknitting those 12 stitches - in a cable pattern.  I had to rip it back a couple of times and fiddle with it a lot.

And ... TA-DAH!

I did it.


Ninja knitting!  How cool is that - I fixed a big problem!

That's not the sad part.

This morning I pulled out the directions to read what comes next ...
I have to rip it out ... all of it ... all ... of ... it ...
The directions very clearly state - "increase every 4th row". 
I increased every 2nd row.  
It won't work the way I did it.


That is the sad part.

Today - I'm switching to sewing.


2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I'd have simply given up…

By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! (Kipling)

Susan said...

That's not just sad, it's downright heartbreaking! (I'm very impressed with your ninja fix though! I don't think I would have been that brave!)