Sunday, December 16, 2018

Scrappy Mountain Majesty

There's nothing quite like playing chicken with a quilt and a Handiquilter. I've been doing this thing I call "Handiquilter Magic" for quite a few years.  Sometimes I even amaze myself.


I chose to do a simple all-over leaf and swirl design that I haven't stitched in forever. I did squiggly lines in the plaid border.  Simple and DONE!.


But leading up to the DONE part …
it was touch and go

PSA … do not do this at home if you are feint-of-heart.

Building a quilt back always takes longer than I think it should. I like scrappy backs and certainly this scrappy quilt needed a scrappy back … flannels and homespuns!!



Sometimes, I get impatient and think … this must be big enough … remember your long-armer wants/needs 4" to 6" MINIMUM on all sides.  That means the back needs to be at least 8" to 12" bigger all around than the front.

Unless you are me and get impatient and think … this has to be big enough.



And then there's the batting. It should also be BIGGER than you think. Unless you have a twin-sized batt that says it's 73" x 93" and it just happens that your quilt measures 72" x 92". And you think - I can make this work (maybe).



This was really close. Probably a little too close even for me.
BUT … it worked!

Just barely but it did work.


It has now gone into the scary closet.
It will wait on Binding Island
until 2019.



No comments: