Wednesday, October 27, 2010

MAKE IT FIT

I recently posted about this quilt and my problem.  It's too small for this bed (obviously).  It was a shop sample from McCalls Quilting, August 2007.  It measured 55"x55"  I just do not need or want another quilt that doesn't fit on a bed. 

Well, I don't want one THIS week.


Didn't think I had any of the fabric left but I did some serious "stash diving."  I found little bits and pieces.  Just enough to do a few more applique flowers and leaves ... I actually had to piece fabric together to make larger pieces.


AND ... hit the mother lode ... because I rarely throw anything away ... I found some leftover 2" squares already cut for this quilt.  WOO HOO!!

So ... I was able to piece some borders and do a little more applique and ....

A quilt that fits on this bed!!

It doesn't get any better than this!  Well ... I'm heading out to dinner with some guild friends and THAT'S pretty good too.  So - it doesn't get any better than this today before 5:00. 

11 comments:

Susan said...

What a great idea...I love it!!!

Kristen said...

Perfect!

What applique fusible do you use?

Jansie said...

Wow, very clever. Really creative of you! And, no offense to the original, but I think it looks 'complete' now. Like, it was meant to be this way all along. :)

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

and *that* is how you make lemonade from lemons! Woo hoo! for creative problem solving! Gosh, I love finding solutions to insurmountable problems!

Well done! :-)

WoolenSails said...

That is beautiful, you made it into a whole new quilt and it is wonderful.

Debbie

Karen G. said...

Wow, that looks great! Very creative. Thank goodness for our stashes. Love it.

Karen in Tucson said...

Mary, What a great way to finish the quilt. It is gorgeous. Wish it was on my bed.

Donna Badgett said...

Gorgeous! And now to quilt it...

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Looks great. I love that pattern. Our guild made it for our raffle quilt and did real well. Good job ad libbing.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful quilt. I'm so glad that you were able to make it fit the bed.

Elizabeth said...

Amazing job! I love the extra borders and can't believe you had scraps to finish it off! I really love the colors in this quilt. It is beautiful.

xo -El