Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Month of May

There's been travel and sewing and knitting and baby smiles, there's been pool time and family time and NO time. And it's all been a great time

I have a job. It used to be a part time job - sort of like parenting a middle-schooler - need to be available but my time was still pretty flexible, provide food, shelter and gentle guidance … ok, I might not quite remember what parenting a middle-schooler was like.

Now my job is more full-time - parenting a parent, who is elderly. I am NOT complaining, in fact - far from it. My mom has lived with us for 7 years. She is now 87 and still fully present in our lives. No judgments for those who could not choose this for their families. I am so very thankful that it works for us.

It does mean that my time is no longer very flexible. My Cute Husband (BEST son-in-law in the whole wild world, according to my Mom) and I get creative with scheduling and maintaining a happy household.  The month of May has been the most creative (and hectic) but we did it!

My Cute Husband is an avid hockey fan (Go CAPS!). I am a more moderate hockey fan. We have talked about visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame and we finally got to do it. I wanted him to go while the Capitals were still the Stanley Cup Champions (another team will hold that honor soon - Go BRUINS). I picked the dates … there just happened to be a FIBER festival going on in the same town that weekend … coincidence?

Kid#1 flew down from MD to stay with her Gram and MCH and I jetted off to Toronto for 5 days. The highlights - a thoroughly enjoyable day at the Hockey Hall of Fame. MCH was THRILLED to not only see the CUP but touch it. We then spent a thoroughly enjoyable day at the Knitters Frolic - let's just say we were great tourist and helped out the Canadian economy. I got bitten by a little dog - nothing serious but it scared me (we did laugh about it later). We went to a baseball game, walked all around downtown Toronto and rode a plane, a train and an Uber.

We flew home on a Monday and Tuesday, I flew to MD for my Bee retreat. 6 days of sewing and eating, more shopping and gazing out the window at a West Virginia valley that was just waking up to Spring.  I had offers from 6 bee-mates to borrow a sewing machine but decided it would be all handwork for me. I over prepped/packed, naturally. I planned for 5 blocks and completed ONE.


I've missed doing hand-embroidery. The colors looked a bit washed out, it's more vibrant. This BOM started in January. 8 blocks have been released and I've made 1.  This will be on my list forever.


The 365 challenge takes up most of my sewing time.
It also takes up most of sewing room.


These 3" blocks take more time than you would think.


The 6" light blocks take just as much time. Lots of cutting and sewing and resewing.
I have stayed current, caught up, stayed current and am almost caught up ... again.
The blocks are released daily, there's no "working ahead" and it's easy to get behind.
I am currently just 4 blocks behind.


I've been working (not as much as I should) on getting Dear Daughter quilted. It's a graduation gift that I started in April 2018 ... in plenty of time.  Graduation is Friday ... as in ... tomorrow.
This is how I will be spending today.


There's also been knitting. I'm such a sucker for prizes. I joined a KAL (knit-along) because there's a chance for prizes … so far I have not won. I guess the best prize is a finished shawl.


Actually no … the best prize is how happy the cutest-baby-in-the-whole-wide-world was to see her Grammie and Gramps after our travels.
This kid makes my heart so HAPPY!







No comments: